Is it bad luck to make items for a baby you haven’t conceived yet? I used to think so, but there’s one thing I know for sure: NOT making stuff for our future baby certainly hasn’t helped me get pregnant! So I’m taking advantage of the extra time I have to get prepared for our future baby, especially considering the increased odds of twins with IVF.
We’re planning to cloth-diaper when the time comes and after doing a lot of research on the web, I think the method we use most often will be prefolds with wool soaker covers. Being a knitter, I saw an opportunity to save even more money by making the soakers myself. I did my best to make these gender-neutral. I figure if they look a little too boy-ish, we could always put a flower headband on a girl when she wears them.
I used the Vanilla pattern by Kelly Brooker (check it out on Ravelry here) and it’s so simple. These are a quick and satisfying little project (as evidenced by the fact that I’ve made 5 of them so far). You can see my Ravelry notes for all of these here.
I did find an error in the Newborn alternate waistband instructions. The pattern calls for 4 (K1,P1) repeats before the YO buttonhole, but I found that makes a very left-of-center buttonhole. There should only be 3 (K1,P1) repeats before the buttonhole. On my first Newborn size soaker, I ended up having to sew the buttonhole shut because it looked ridiculous. I fixed it for the others. So far I’ve made 4 Newborn size soakers (the plain blue one and the ones with the buttons) and one Small soaker (the one with the drawstring). These are all made using Paton’s Classic Wool Worsted yarn. I’ll probably make some more in the Small size next. I have plenty of leftover yarn from these.